Friday, July 26, 2013

Pot Shards and Rough Beauty


 

July 26, 1906
 
For My Darlin,
 
Unwrapped, I guess.  Strange knots tied and somewhat woven. The bundle left behind for me to find. I found a patch of green succulent plants growing near a spring coming from some rocks. If you look upward I see lacey ferns growing from the rock, too. Higher still is the redness of the natural formations. Today, I will walk through the river between the canyon walls. Not a cloud in the sky so no chance a flash flood will wash me away. I hope. It is so hot and dry. The icy feeling of the rushing water will cool us. We have enough provisions to keep us for a few days. A mule will do not good here. On the top where the cedar breaks they say the snow has melted, mostly. I want to see meadows of wild flowers then on to Otter Creek to catch a few rainbow Trout. I found a few pot shards with black and white markings. I have those wrapped in my pack to bring to the next camp where we will meet up with some of the group. I sure hope we make it alright. This is a rough beauty here. We have plenty of rope along this time, just in case. I am thinking of you honey bun. I hear you are learning to dye with indigo. I sent you some tincture of indigo dye from the one who dyes the canvas for some overalls. Here is a Tunisien Crochet Hook I had someone make for you. I hope this is what you wanted. Not to worry I will be home one of these days. 
 
Love to you and the young'uns,
 
Elmer
 
 
 
 
This bird wishes you well on a pretty fine day!
xoxo
Tweet Tweet
 
(OK just pretend they had these kind of pictures back then)

No comments:

Post a Comment