Sunday, June 2, 2013

This Sky This Place Two Times



 
1982 Is the year I read Isabel Allende while working on sculptural boxes for an upcoming show.
Chanteuse that she is inspired my thoughts for the female porcelain figures which were placed onto or into wooden antique boxes I collected through the years. Some of these boxes I painted inside with painstaking care with egg tempera of various skyscapes. Some contained words cut from the pages of" House of the Spirits" but mixed up to change the meanings. I still have this paperback book, somewhere. I have all of her books in hardback, as well.
 
 
So here I am, 2013 is the year. On land it is a different place but just a blip on the GPS locator. The other day I heard so much about an asteroid coming near earth; huge they say. So, now I am reading "Maya's Notebook,"  Isabel's new book. This takes place in my old stomping ground of Berkeley, California, and an island in Chile. It is like reading about family. I am savoring every word.
 
The top image is from a card I made and the bottom is digital manipulation of that copy I made of that card so long ago, now. The asteroid passing by and the words of Isabel were the start point for this piece. I am so different, now.
I like things that fly by.
As a child, I jumped off the roof of a garage, I had a cape like Superman, I am so lucky.
 
 


On Amazon is a video  that she shares about this book.
Maya's Notebook
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment