Monday, March 17, 2014

When You Have No Clue

Fifty Million years ago, I was making prints from colored porcelain clay onto print making paper and canvas with colored stains. I see two of these framed pieces on the wall in front of my bed every morning when I wake. I really really hate these pieces, the frames are very nice mahogany, though, and as far as I am concerned this is the best part. These images are of orchids blooming in a fantasy desert scene, which I am sure are stuck in my unconscious mind back somewhere where I do not want to go. The question the images provoke is how sometimes you know you know but you do not want to know. I always pick places where it seems impossible to thrive, I guess. I do not know about this for sure.
It is like the cave painting in Lascaux France which is in a cave in a place where it takes a lot of effort to find and more effort to view, well at least this used to be so. Someone did this for a very good reason. We make up stories from the evidence we see, but we do not know anything about this for sure. The mystery is to me what I enjoy thinking about or it is intriguing, anyways, as Ellen always says.
About 25 million years ago I visited a model home in a classy area near where I grew-up. When you walked into this beyond belief place the first thing visible is/was a painting about two stories high on canvas of a copy of the cave paintings I spoke of at the beginning of my thought, I will never forget that moment. It was astonishing to me. The mere size of this painting has floated inside my minds eye all of my adult life. It must be what it felt like when the first person rediscovered the original cave painting.
This is what I want in my life now.
I just read a post on Sweet pea's blog about something a curator of a show said about creating something astonishing which can not be ignored.
For the next fifty million years of my life I claim this as my goal. Even if it is only seen my little ole me.
Oh by the way, I am still making buttons that my friend Sarazmuz turned me onto trying. Really fun and addictive especially in white wool with bunny fur. Now I need to make a sweater for it to show off.
I like making.

No comments:

Post a Comment