Monday, March 18, 2013

Anatomy of a bird. . .more


I need to tell you here at the beginning that I write this blog off the top of my head. . .I do not edit my writing. So don't even think about that part. I just want you to know how some of this is done without stressing myself. If I tried to make it perfect it would never get done. . .
Snap shot

I sometimes sculpt a face or head for some of the birds out of porcelain or even Sculpey clay depending upon the time I have or alternatively I may paint a face on fabric or onto porcelain which has to be fired, again, and again. But, I usually draw it first. Or should I say sketch.  . . I am pretty loose with this; just thinking on paper. Or I might felt a ball to dye and embroider upon. The point of this is to let the fiber tell me what to do.
I just try to remain open.

snap shot
Hardware stores are great places to visit for wire and other items. I spend a lot of time while my hubby is buying wood or whatever walking up and down the isles, by myself, just thinking. I discovered plastic tubing in differing sizes. From Sur Le Table (sp) I buy bamboo skewers for barbecues, but, I use them a lot to stabilize the bird legs when I use plastic tube. Then I knit with Habu fiber I-cord to cover the length of the tube, sometimes.
I use other items as well. But, that is another story for another day. . .

2 comments: